Saturday, November 12, 2011

(6) - A Parchment Scribble

Turdas 20th of Last Seed 4E201


It's good to be writing again. Though it doesn't beat a journal written with a decent quill, this charcoal on parchment will have to do.


It hasn't been the most successful of days. This morning I skipped breakfast, and decided on a trek along the North side of Ilinalta lake. On my way there I stumbled across a shoddy cabin, and met an elderly woman called Anice. I can't imagine how hard it must be for her to live out there on her own, though she seemed to get by by growing some vegetables and making use of her knowledge of alchemy.


A shoddy cabin


After leaving the cabin behind me, I got attacked by wolves. Though I did manage to slay them fairly easily, I suffered from a nasty bite near my ankle. Not enough to keep me from doing what I'd set out to do. After passing my birthgrounds I arrived at Ilinalta's Deep, a half submerged small fortress ruin. I have walked past it many a times as a child, but my parents always forbid me to climb it, as its walls were crumbling and unsteady. This time however I investigated, killed two mud crabs on my way in and I had a quick bread lunch on top of one of the towers. On my way back to solid ground I found a hatch, seemingly providing access to the interior. I should investigate it one of these days, because the Deep has intrigued me since childhood.


Ilinalta's Deep


However, plenty of time had passed, so I decided on heading back to Riverwood. On my way back I noticed two unusual rounded rock pillars sticking out of the lake's surface. I hadn't noticed these before, and since they seemed like man made, I decided to investigate. With my armor and other belongings safely tucked away on the lake shore I swam out, and diving under water I discovered the remains of what looked the bottom part of what once had been a tower. I managed to retrieve a gem and some gold from a rotten chest at its bottom, and I also collected some clams and barnacles growing on the ancient stones, while pesky slaughterfish nibbled away at the wound on my ankle.


On my way back, the weather cleared up, and as I was enjoying some splendid views over the river my ankle started to turn even more painful and stiff. I can't believe my bad luck. They might as well start calling me Gwenneth Rock-Joint, because I had attracted the foul disease AGAIN...


A splendid view over the river


When back in Riverwood I scavenged some more apples and tomatoes from abandoned barrels, and since I failed to catch me some game I made myself some vegetable soup and apple cabbage stew. I lacked the gold for another potion of cure disease, so I had to sell all valuables I had collected so far, though I still have the gold necklace. I don't plan on selling it unless I really have to. Reluctantly I bought the curing potion and now all I have left is 93 gold.


I've spent all day exploring and hunting, and yet I'm left with less then I started with. Oh well, at least the apple cabbage stew was edible this time. I've asked Orgnar at the Inn if he knew some way for me to earn money, and he gave me a bounty letter some Imperials had left there. It offered a reward for killing a bandit leader at 'Silent Moon Camps'. However, I have no clue about the whereabouts of this camp, nor did Orgnar. Next to that I don't really feel like doing an Imperials dirty work, so I guess I will be looking for a job tomorrow. Since I know my way with a wood cutters axe, I will check at the sawmill first thing in the morning.

3 comments:

Shilka said...

Comment at myself:

I find these by Gwenneth herself written entries much easier to read, and therefor more interesting then the elaborate 3rd person style description I used earlier on. However, I had to wait for gwenneth to get some writing materials. Sorry for that :)

Eradion said...

You're one of the only people on my list of blogs that continuously updates and it's fun checking in and seeing what Gwenneth is up to. Keep it up!

Shilka said...

Thank you :)
I guess some people don't have the game yet, some are too much in awe to write, and for some the blog thing might not be their thing.
Some blogs are starting to have their first updates though.
I guess we need to give it some time to see which ones take off :)