Thursday, November 24, 2011

(24) - Hunting Trip - Journal entry -

Morndas 7th of Hearthfire 4E201


This morning we indulged ourselves with an apple pie and boiled cream treats breakfast. I packed a bunch of potions, and enough food for two days, as I wanted to go on a hunting trip, going South-West along the mountains. The sun was just rising as we left Whiterun's main gate. We had just passed the West watchtower when we saw a wolf chasing a deer. Unfortunately I only managed to hit the wolf, and the deer escaped into the mountains.  One wolf skin richer we continued along the mountains, enjoying the grand view across the tundra on this lovely clear day.




It wasn't long after when a frightened woman ran up to us, her face covered in dirt and dried blood. She explained that she had been captivated in the towers near Mistwatch, and had managed to escape. This was already the second woman I met with this story, perhaps I should investigate one of these days...
We pointed the woman in the direction of Whiterun, then continued on our way, evading a Giant's camp at the base of the mountains.


A bit further on we managed to kill a few goats, an elk and a skeever. I must say Lydia was doing pretty well with her bow, she can hit a moving target in a way I've only seen Leanawen do before. We had a rest on some rocks, eating some bread and rabbit haunch. When we moved on I noticed some clearly man made rock pillars. There were some turning stones with symbols, and a caged cellar nearby, with a chest visible at the bottom. I tried a few combinations with the turning rocks, but there were no clues on how to set them in the right position, so we failed and moved on.

Soon after we hit a path towards what I knew was Brittle Shin Pass. I had traveled the underground pass before in my childhood, perfectly safe then, but one of the Whiterun guards had mentioned it was dangerous to do so now. Lydia seemed interested, so I decided to have a look with her anyway. After entering we stumbled upon two walking skeletons, but they fell quickly when our arrows shattered their bones. After entering a large cave, I saw something I hadn't seen before. A stone pillar, with a gem floating slightly above it. As I moved closer to investigate, the gem started shooting frozen shafts of ice at us! It was clearly some sort of magical defensive device, so Lydia and I retreated, discussing our next course of actions.


Hovering gem at Brittle Shin Pass

Under cover of a nearby rock wall I managed to hit the gem off it's pedestal with a well aimed arrow, rendering it harmless. It turned out to be a soul gem, which I took. After climbing a wooden spiral staircase,  and killing two more skeletons, we came across the one responsible for the enchanted defense mechanism; a necromancer. Though he did cast some magical defenses on himself, Lydia distracted him well enough for me to attack him from behind, and the battle was soon over. I took an intricately carved staff of fire bolts off him, and found four books in his dwelling which I took as well. After killing two more skeletons, and evading a hard to notice floor trap we finally emerged at the other side of the mountains, lake Ilinalta before us, right next to Ilinalta's deep.



Hert and Lydia at Half Moon Mill

By now the sun was already setting, and winds were picking up, so I decided to walk along the lake and head for a couple of buildings we could see just across the water. Darkness had already set in when we arrived at what turned out to be Half Moon Mill. Outside we met Hert, the mill owner, and she was quick to invite us in her home to stay for the night, as the weather was worsening quick. Though she seemed friendly, and even prepared us a dinner of baked potatoes with grilled leeks, I didn't really trust her. Perhaps it was the eagerness with which she had invited us, or the way she kept watching us while cooking. I just told Lydia to stay awake and watch over us while I go sleep. One of the advantages of having a housecarl I guess, sorry Lydia.

No comments: