Thursday, November 17, 2011

(13) - Ilinalta's Deep - Journal entry -

Fredas 28th of Last Seed 4E201

I started my day with some apple pie before leaving towards the Northeast, in the direction of Ilinalta's Deep. On my way I came across a Vigilant of Stendar, at least that was what he called himself. A daedra hunter of some kind. I told him he didn't need to visit Bleak Falls Barrow anymore, because I did his job for him already. I thought he'd be happy about it, but he seemed disappointed more then anything else, and left.

Before reaching the Deep I managed to kill a deer and a couple of foxes, so I have a nice set of hides for tanning again. The sun was just rising as I reached the trapdoor in the Deep that I discovered a couple of days ago.


Ilinalta's Deep trapdoor

When I entered I saw the interior of the Deep wasn't fully submerged in water. There was a rather disturbing site of a skeleton hanging from chains on a pole. At its base I found a journal, supposedly belonging to a fisherman, claiming lake Ilinalta was haunted. Well, I saw at least 3 fishermen enjoying their hunt on the lake before I entered, so I wasn't going to fall for these scare tactics. It was clear to me this entire scene was set up to scare unwanted visitors off, so I only got more curious about what I would find further on.


A warm welcome

Well, the first room I entered had 3 necromancers in it, but I had to slay 5, as the last one managed to reanimate his fallen companions. They were no match for me, as they used freezing spells for attack. Well freezing spells on this girl that traveled the Jerall Mountains twice without even getting a frostbite blister once wasn't going to get them very far, and with no armor it was like my axe slicing through butter. After the battle I looked for loot, but next to a great amount of books (hurray!), I found nothing of value.

Soon after I arrived at a dining hall with kitchen, and I finished off a walking skeleton. It was particularly weak with no necromancers left to enhance its powers. Dinner had already been served, so I enjoyed the salmon steak and wine sitting at the dinner table, while listening for any activity behind the closed door nearby.

I continued into a partially flooded room, took care of another necromancer and walking skeleton, and found a chest with a decent amount of gold and a valuable looking robe in it. After passing what looked like a shared bedroom I entered into what seemed to be the heart of this necromancer hideout. Several tables littered with ingredients for use on the alchemy tables nearby. Again I found a great deal of books, and I decided to take them all. After all I do spend most evenings writing and reading, and I already finished all but one books that I had before venturing here.

I managed to pick a lock to a room with a chest filled with potions, and made my way across a partially flooded room with another chest with vials inside. As I rounded a corner I bumped into another necromancer, flanked by two skeletons. Now the skeletons were easy, but the necromancer... I suspect her of having been the leader of the pack, because her frost spells DID sting, even so much I got pretty enraged. But she turned to flee once I shouted in anger, and I planted my axe in her back several times while she begged me to leave her alone. Well I was pretty mad, so that wasn't going to happen. I granted her a quick ending though. It seemed the rooms and corridors had looped back on themselves, as I found myself in the room with the hanging skeleton again.

Exiting from the deep it was already starting to get dark, so I hurried back, as I had planned to leave for Whiterun tomorrow. Thanks to a thief trying to rob me I will have to postpone for another day. He was Argonian, and surprisingly nimble, forcing me into defense as he whirled around me like a knife wielding dancer on frenzy potion. It took me a lot of time, and a heavily damaged shield before I could get a few good axe swings in and defeat this agile creature. He sliced my new leather armor in several places, but I guess I can repair that at Alvor's tomorrow.


Back in Riverwood

When I arrived at Riverwood, the shop had already closed. So I just changed clothes at Gerdur's, had some baked potatoes with grilled leek, and settled in my bed for some writing. It's already late, Gerdur and Hod are already asleep, so I better do the same. Tomorrow I'll be preparing for my trip to Whiterun.

No comments: