Friday, November 25, 2011

(25) - Back to Whiterun - Journal entry -

Tirdas 8th of Hearthfire 4E201

Lydia and I barely had the time to finish our bread and egg breakfast this morning at Half Moon mill. Hert's hospitality had vanished completely as she was visibly annoyed with our presence. When we hasted ourselves to get out, I noticed a small shack near the saw mill that I hadn't noticed in the darkness the day before, and I decided to have a peek inside.

At first it looked simply that the shed was used to chop up meat, as I saw several chunks of venison and beef. Then I suddenly noticed the human remains. In between the meat was a bloody human skull and blood soaked clothing. Under the chopping table there was a human ribcage with still fresh fleshy remains on it. I quickly gave Lydia a hand sign to get out, and we were fast to leave the premises. I had been so right to let Lydia stay awake the whole night, or else we might have ended up on that chopping table ourselves.


Shed at Half Moon mill

I discussed the scene I had just witnessed with Lydia as we followed the path to the North, cutting through the mountain range that separated lake Ilinalta from the Whiterun valley. Having reached the valley we turned East, past a cave entrance we decided not to investigate. After killing an elk we got attacked by a pack of three wolves. Both Lydia and me got a few nasty bites, and we shared a potion of health as well as a potion of cure disease to be on the safe side. Fortunately I was stocked up well on potions of cure disease, as every Silver Hand I had killed in Dustman's Cairn seemed to have a vial of it upon them.


Outlines of Whiterun in the distance

The hunting picked up from there, as we managed to kill 2 rabbits and 3 more deer before we had a lunch of seared slaughterfish and rabbit haunch at the Western guard tower. The last part of the trip was uneventful, and we made it safely into Whiterun's protecting walls. Just as we entered Whiterun Adrianne Avenicci waved me over, and told me she had something for sale I might be interested in. Well, she was right, as she had a most wonderful Elven armor on sale, including helmet, gauntlets and boots. The shiny and lightweight armor was a perfect fit for me, so I couldn't retain myself; I bought the full set, only leaving me with a handful of gold.


Elven armor

Lydia had been yawning all the way back, and though it wasn't even dinnertime yet I sent her off to bed to catch up on some sleep. After salting the meat and tucking away the hides I warmed up a bit of left over venison stew, and to distract my mind from the disturbing sight I had seen at Half Moon mill, I decided on reading a bit at the fire. I ended up reading 'The Beggar Prince' and 'The Armorer's Challenge', which I both enjoyed thoroughly. I'm still not decided on my plans for tomorrow. With the little gold I have left, I wish I knew of any bandit camps nearby. Perhaps I can have a look North of Whiterun tomorrow, see if there's anything to raid or loot, and map some hunting grounds at the same time as well. I guess I'll decide tomorrow.

No comments: