Tuesday, November 15, 2011

(10) - Relaxing at Riverwood - Journal entry -

Tirdas 25th of Last Seed 4E201


It was past noon already when I finished my previous journal entry yesterday, and I reread the Book of the Dragonborn. For some reason I feel like its contents are connected to what happened to me in Bleak Falls Barrow, though it can not be. It seems like so many things happening to me connect me with the reappearance of the dragons, but I don't understand why. It's not like I am of Dragonborn descent.

Still confused I decided on taking things slow yesterday, so I first had an abundant lunch of vegetable soup and salmon steak. Then, with everyone out working, I could have a go through of my knapsack, and decided on which things to sell. Since I now had plenty of gold to spare, I decided at buying some leather bracers and a leather helmet at Alvor's on my way to the store. Especially the helmet was finely crafted, offering more protection then my by now damaged hide helmet.


New leather bracers and helmet

When I returned to Lucan Valerius, I decided on giving him the Golden Dragon Claw back. The reward however was disappointing to say the least, not even enough to replace my damaged armor. I was starting to get exceedingly annoyed with this Imperial cheapskate, but with little choice to sell my loot elsewhere, I sold him almost all my excess belongings. I decided on keeping all gems and jewelry though, they are light to carry, and I want to save them in the case I find a better place to sell them. At the end of the barter I could add another 700 gold to my already well filled money pouch.

I also kept two axes, a regular ancient Nord war axe, and the enchanted one I got from the Draugr overlord. Also the dragon stone with the mysterious inscriptions was a keeper, for I felt it was tied to my destiny. It is weighing me down though, but as I have no other place to store it safely, I will just have to carry it around in the bottom of my knapsack. Then I went back to Alvor to resharpen the axes, something probably last done centuries ago on the ancient weapons.

As I was still tired, I decided on sitting at the river's edge, and rested as I watched salmons swim upstream. The water looked so fresh and clear I decided on a bathing, and I washed out my wounds while the currents carried my sweat and dried blood downstream. I had just dressed again, and was taking sips of a potion of health as suddenly a roaring ball of flames flew past my head. Some distance behind me was a flame archonaut taking pot shots at me. I killed it with one swing of my axe, so I guess it was already wounded and had been enraged by a previous fight.

Still wondering about it I wandered back to Gerdur, and we discussed Jarl Bargruuf over dinner. I went to bed early after reading a bit of Olaf and the Dragon, a book I had found sitting next to my bed.

A beautiful morning at Riverwood


This morning I already felt a lot better. I shortly considered going to Alinalta's deep today, but I had overslept, so after a quick fruit breakfast I just went for a stroll out of the Southern gateway, as it was a beautiful day. I passed the corpses of the two dead wolves I had killed on my way to Riverwood, and then remembered how I had passed Embershard mine just before it, killing a bandit in front of its entrance.

I was curious at why there had been a bandit guard at the mine's entrance so I decided on investigating. I entered the mine, and just after grabbing a torch from the wall, I tripped over a wire. In a reflex I rolled forward, causing the boulders that came crashing down to just barely miss me. Someone had set up a trap!
I readied my axe, as it was obvious someone was present inside the mine, and not too keen on visitors.


Embershard mine

Soon I came across a small bandit operation, and it became apparent they had 'privatized' the mine for their own gain. The bandits were no match for me at all, and they fell to my bow and axe alike. There were not many riches to be found in their makeshift quarters; some books, a few ingots and another barely written in journal. However, it looked like the bandits had prepared for a prolonged stay, as there was an abundance of food stored away, and I filled my knapsack with fruit, vegetables, potato's, pheasants and rabbits.

The mine had a natural cavernous exit close to Riverwood, and I sold my surplus at the overpriced and underpaying shop again. Since there was plenty of daylight left, I headed back to Gerdur's and prepared a feast of cabbage potato soup, pheasant roast and rabbit haunch for dinner. I also salted a bunch of meat and fish to serve as provisions for my  future travels.


Good times at the Sleeping Giant Inn

After an elaborate dinner I decided on heading to the inn for some mead to wash things down. I must admit I had a pretty good time, as ale and mead flowed generously during the course of the evening, though I was sensible enough not to get hammered like the rest. I found a book on light armor forging in the mine, so I'm going to give that a read before bedtime. No plans for tomorrow yet.

No comments: