Sunday, November 20, 2011

(18) - The Companions - Journal entry -

Tirdas 1st of Hearthfire 4E201

Me and Lydia woke early this morning, and had a simple fruit breakfast. I asked Lydia to remain at the inn, as I wanted to go to Jorrvaskr and see if I could join the Companions. She was a bit disappointed by the thought of having to spend all day at the inn, but this was something I needed to do alone. I gave Lydia some gold, and told her it was alright to have a bit of fun and mead, and that seemed to cheer her up a bit. Then I went on my way.

When I entered Jorrvaskr, I came in in the middle of a fight going on. At first I thought it was a brawl, but I soon discovered they were just training. As I talked to several members of the companions I quickly found out that the Companions had lost a lot of their former glory. Once, Whiterun had been built around this legendary home of the Companions, but currently it seemed like the Companions were nothing but a loose band of warriors, some in it for fame, others just for the gold. To be honest I just came her to make some gold as well, yet it stung a little to see there was little honor left in being part of the companions.


Jorrvaskr interior

One of their older members, Kodlak White-Mane, seemed to be the one keeping the others in check, though he wasn't really what you would call their leader. But at least he seemed to have earned a certain level of respect from the other members, and it was up to him to decide if I could join the Companions.
To the disapprovement of some of the other members he was quick to allow me in. I guess he was experienced enough to recognize how I had been hardened by life and would make a good addition to their ranks.

However, a Companion named Vilkas demanded I should be put to the test, and challenged me to a training duel outside. He got more then he bargained for, and after two powerful bashes of my shield he quickly went into submission, without me having swung my axe at him even once. I guess he felt humiliated, as he sent me on a trivial errand right after, having to bring his sword to Eorlund at the nearby skyforge for sharpening.


The Skyforge

After delivering the sword, Eorlund, who turned out to be a very experienced smith, asked me to take a shield back to Jorrvaskr to hand it over to Aela, which I did. Back in Jorrvaskr another member of the Companions, Farkar, showed me a bed which I could us in their barracks, and told me I could ask him or Aela for any tasks that could make me some gold. Right away he had a task for me, telling me to intimidate a bard named Mikael, who apparently was stalking a woman named Carlotta, much to her disapproval.

I remembered him singing in the Bannered Mare, so I went back to the inn, where I first shared a lunch of cabbage potato soup and pheasant roast with Lydia, while observing my target. Mikael wasn't hard to challenge, he was an unpleasant character, quite full of himself, and it took me a just a few taunting remarks to lure him into a brawl. I must say he was a decent fist fighter, but none the less no match for me. Soon he fell cowering to the floor, and I whispered in his ear to leave Camilla alone, him helplessly acknowledging my request.

After that I told Lydia to stay at the inn, as I was going to spend the coming night in Jorrvaskr. She again seemed disappointed, but I promised her I would take her with me to Riverwood the next day, because I wanted to see if the promised protection sent by the Jarl had indeed arrived at Riverwood. It was the least I could do after receiving so much hospitality from Gerdur.
Just as I wanted to leave the inn Carlotta came walking in, and I explained to her she didn't need to fear Mikael's advances anymore. She was very grateful, and it seems as he'd been bothering her a lot as she handed me 250 gold as a token of her gratitude.

On my way to Jorrvaskr I got talking with a young woman named Solda. She wanted to become a trader, and had plans to take over the Bannered Mare once she was experienced enough. She told me she had been trading with traveling Khajiits, which had requested her to bring a mammoth's tusk, and she pleaded for my help. I decided to try to help her out, it might be of my advantage later if she did indeed take over the Bannered Mare.  It never hurts to be able to purchase a bit of mead at discount prices..., next to that I had noticed that Belethor was having a mammoth's tusk on sale yesterday, so it wouldn't be hard to complete the task anyway.


Gwenneth back at Jorrvaskr barracks

Finally back at Jorrvaskr, Fargas handed me 100 gold for completing my task. I didn't bother to tell him I already had received 250 gold from Carlotta, no need for him to know that. In the barracks I talked a bit with Njada Stone-Arm, but she wasn't very friendly, and quite full of herself.
I'll have to miss out on my reading again, as I want to leave for Riverwood early tomorrow and be able to get back here again before nightfall. Oh and I need to remember to buy that mammoth tusk tomorrow, before anyone else does. It will be a busy day again tomorrow.

No comments: